Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: equalization of horn and bass cabinet

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have A7 cabinets with EV speakers (yes, I already know that is not good) and Altec 311 horns with 291-A16 drivers. I am bi-amping with a crossover point of about 550 hz. The horn is much more efficient than the A7 cabinet so I have put an attenuator on the horn and its amp.

    My question is how do I know when the A7 and horn are properly balanced? Having equal power at the crossover point is too much horn. I have tried to balance by ear using music that I think is recorded well but then when I go to some other kind of music I find myself wanting to tweek the horn attenuation.

    The difference is most noticable between male and female singers. If I balance for a female singer then the male singers all sound stressed. If I balance for male singers the females sound too husky.

    Any suggestions? Should I just use the attenuator like a treble control?

    Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

    Dave

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Steve Burger's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The first thing I would do if you are using the system for hifi (which it sounds like you do) is to swap out the 291 diaphragms for some alumuminum 288's- the sound difference will be highly noticeable. Bill at GPA (check the links on this website) has them at a reasonable price. Save the 291 diaphragms in case you want to use them for a live performance.
    Try this out and then come back- that ought to be a phenomenal set-up at that point.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 10th, 2002
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think, another problem may be the EV-woofer. Even if it is an 15B, the output at midrange ain't the same as the 515. There is a big difference.

    I had an 15B in my A7, too. In the other A7 I have the 515-8G. The crossover is active and is about 500 cycles. The difference is almost in the midrange, a deep snare for example is good to hear on the 515-8G side, at the other side it seems to be completely absent (mono!).

    Try an Altec-woofer; it's the better choice I think.

    Merry christmas to all; please be patient about my bad english. It is a really great hostboard.

    Wolf

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.